Public Art Fund
New York, NY, USLocation:
Thu, Mar 11 ’21Posted on:
Public Art Fund (“PAF”), New York’s leading presenter of contemporary art in public spaces, seeks a dynamic and experienced Art Program Manager to join its Creative Partnerships department.
Public Art Fund has presented exhibitions by the world’s most compelling and significant artists in New York City and beyond for more than 40 years. These projects set the standard for excellence in the field, giving urban space new meaning, while engaging diverse audiences and making culture accessible to all. Public Art Fund also offers consulting services that bring strategic planning, curatorial, and project management expertise to the world’s leading cultural institutions, corporations, and civic organizations through Public Art Fund: Creative Partnerships. Amplifying the impact of our partners’ own initiatives, Public Art Fund commissions permanent installations and temporary exhibitions in line with the unique vision of its partners and the specific parameters of each site, resulting in new artworks that activate public spaces and create engaged constituencies through the power of public art.
The Art Program Manager’s primary responsibilities are to provide custom tailored partner services and to oversee the development and successful delivery of multiple, ambitious artwork commissions within Public Art Fund’s consulting portfolio. The Art Program Manager works in coordination with Creative Partnership Clients, Artist teams, and PAF’s Project Management, Curatorial and Communications departments to oversee project quality, scheduling, and communications. Frequent travel to project sites is required. This position reports to the Director & Chief Curator. Recent partnerships of note include the permanent art programs at Moynihan Train Hall and LaGuardia Airport, Terminal B.
● Provide exceptional client services to achieve Art Program implementation through effective partnership and communication
● Understand the needs and goals of both the Partner and PAF to establish the unique parameters relevant to the commissioning, development, and installation of multiple impactful artworks.
● Liaise with internal PAF Project Management, Curatorial and Communications teams to develop proposal decks, program materials, and relevant contracts for ongoing and prospective partnerships.
● Oversee successful delivery of various artworks from concept development to installation completion and close out.
● Lead and facilitate communications with project Partner and Artist Teams, Vendors, and Stakeholders.
● Work with PAF Curatorial team to develop the Curatorial Strategic Plan, including requests for proposals and artist agreements.
● Oversee contract negotiations for overall art programs, including artist agreements for site specific, temporary, or traveling works.
● Manage program budgets and schedules and deliver regular updates to project Partners.
● Maintain schedule of business filings, invoicing and accounts receivable for Creative Partnerships and travelling exhibitions
● Work with the Project Manager to oversee and review artwork concept and design development, including project timelines, and budget development.
● Compile the on-site requirements and manage the on-boarding of project team members including badging and credentialing per Partner requirements.
● Coordinate, review, and advise Partner on project updates, such as design and fabrication and requests for information, in consultation with the appropriate professional members of the Partner, vendor and Artist teams.
● Assist and review the processing of scope and fee change orders, as necessary. Maintain an organized and detailed log of potential changes.
● Coordinate/attend site trips/visits with Artist Team and Contractors.
● Monitor and report on the Artist Team completion of defined project milestones, including fabrication, shipping and installation.
● Oversee program close-out documentation and administration.
● Manage additional departmental staff as needed.
● Other program management responsibilities common to the delivery of projects of similar scope and scale.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree in related area of study (e.g. visual arts, project management, construction management, architecture, design, etc.)
● Minimum of five to ten (5 – 10) years professional experience in arts project management, exhibition organization, art fabrication and installation, or other relevant experience in the field
● Experience working with artists, fabricators, and art installers; knowledge of art fabrication methods and processes
● Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; capability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to work collaboratively as part of a team; strategic and creative thinker, and ability to problem solve
● Experience managing staff and outside vendors/contractors
● Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends; ability to travel for work as needed
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Must be able to pass a criminal background check and obtain clearance (e.g. SWAC) to work at secure sites as necessary
● Candidates must have an understanding of the construction industry, job site safety requirements, planning and scheduling, building trades and sequence of work, and relevant technology
● Must be able to read plans and specifications
● Must be able to complete on-site safety training as required
● 10-Hour OSHA Construction Safety and Health Certification; 30-Hour OSHA preferred
● Competency with Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, and project management software
● This position is full-time
Please email a cover letter, including salary requirements, and résumé as attachments to [email protected] Indicate the job title “Art Program Manager 2021” in the subject line. No telephone calls please.
Public Art Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that art has the power to spur conversation among people of different perspectives, to open hearts and minds, and to help shape the face and future of our country. A diverse workplace filled with people of different backgrounds reflects our organizational values and is vital to delivering on our mission. Join us!