Position : Communications Consultant
Organizational Unit : Awareness Raising Unit (Migrants as Messengers)
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal (Regional Office for West and Central Africa)**
IOM Classification : Consultancy
Type of Appointment : 6-month consultancy (with possibility for extension)
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 20 April 2021
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. IOM implements innovative projects aimed at young people and aspirant migrants through a Communication for Development (C4D) approach. One such project is Migrants as Messengers (MaM), which seeks to empower target audiences in West Africa make informed decisions about migration through peer-to-peer messaging.
The project started in three countries in November 2017 and will expand to seven countries in 2019 (Nigeria, Senegal, Guinea, The Gambia, Côte d’Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Liberia). It is carried out by volunteers using storytelling techniques to record and broadcast interviews with returned migrants and share these stories online and at community events.
Under the direct supervision of Migrants as Messengers Project Manager at IOM’s Regional Office for West and Central Africa in Dakar, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting and coordinating the communications elements of the Migrants as Messengers (MaM) project and the Awareness Raising (AWR) Unit.
Core Functions and Responsibilities:
- Communications Strategy:
a. Draft a communications strategy for the MaM project.
- Written pieces:
a. Write written articles for MaM and the AWR Unit; this includes identifying stories, drafting, proofreading, editing, coordinating with relevant parties, pitching and publishing. Written pieces can include blogs, stories, briefs, press releases and other communication materials in both French and English.
b. Proofread public project materials in French and English.
c. Package and share MaM project learnings with partners.
- Media Relations and Promotion
a. Identify promotion channels MaM and other AWR Unit activities and pitch relevant content by:
i. Mapping, building and maintaining a network of relationships with international and regional media including management of a comprehensive media contacts database.
ii. Mapping relevant creative or knowledge sharing initiatives and make suggestions on how MaM or the AWR Unit can participate (such as Film Festivals, Design Festivals, conferences on awareness raising, etc.).
- Media Monitoring
a. Prepare monthly media monitoring report at the global, regional and country level for MaM and AWR Unit.
b. Prepare bi-weekly press reviews of relevant themes to be shared with AWR Unit.
- Capacity Building:
a. Provide support to MaM participating IOM Missions in developing communications content.
b. Build capacity of staff and trained MaM Volunteers in article writing and editing.
c. Support the development of e-learning tools from targeted existing training modules.
- Online Platforms
a. Assist MaM social media management.
b. Support uploading of content and management of MaM website.
c. Support the development of a newsletter for the AWR Unit.
d. Ensure timely and efficient publication and distribution of media content on relevant platforms, such as MaM website, IOM websites, and other media channels, websites, social media etc.
- General support:
a. Support the development and dissemination of communications and media resources for target communities in the specific regional context.
b. Work in a manner reflecting the innovative nature of the AWR Unit and the importance of capturing and packaging material that documents the diverse activities that engage returnees, communities, community leaders, potential migrants and families.
c. Ensure that there is appropriate gender and vulnerabilities awareness in all MaM communications.
d. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- 6 x monthly AWR Newsletters
- 12 x written pieces, published
1 x Communications Strategy for MaM
6 x monthly media monitoring reports
12 x bi-weekly press reviews
4 x MaM learnings that are shared with partners
1 x Media Mapping List
1 x Initiatives List
Coordinate the development of 1 e-learning
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· Master’s degree in communications, media studies, journalism, international relations, international development, marketing, or another related field.
· Professionalism – shows pride in work and in achievements, motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
· Accountability – is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
· Creativity – ability to convey concepts in the most effective and visually appealing manner; ability to innovate and develop out-of-the-box ideas
· Detail-oriented – meticulous attention to detail, ensuring maximum accuracy in all tasks
· Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations;
· Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills, tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience;
· Ability to originate or edit written content, for public and media use;
· Effective listener, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- A minimum of four years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: journalism, public relations, advocacy, international relations, marketing, development, advertising, digital communications, multimedia agencies, or another relevant field.
- Experience in media relations using traditional and social media, multi-media and a variety of platforms;
- Experience in dealing with International Institutions and Organisations (UN, etc.).
- Strong experience in managing social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Experience with operating the back end of websites such as Drupal, WordPress;
- Demonstrated high competency as a writer, editor in French and English;
- Previous experience with communications and/or perception change campaigns
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign an asset.
Fluency in French and English is required.
Knowledge of one other local language of West Africa is an advantage .**
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.