The ability of National Society partners to respond adequately to needs of the affected population is an important strategic priority for Norwegian Red Cross. Our strategic objective in Syria is to reduce the vulnerability of local communities and prevent loss of life. We support SARC interventions in health, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), relief and humanitarian aid operations and organisational development. Norwegian Red Cross is one of the largest Movement contributors in Syria and we have been a partner to SARC since 2013.
NorCross two main objectives in Syria are to:
· improve access to safe water and sound hygiene conditions and meet the basic needs of people affected by the crisis.
· Improve access to quality primary health care services
· Strengthen the host National Societys financial management to conform with international standards
Country Programme Manager Syria
The purpose of the Country Programme Manager Syria is to achieve Norwegian Red Cross humanitarian objectives at country level through results-based project management and risk management.
Main strategic responsibilities
· Follow up and strengthen the National Society partnership through project development and management in line with established project agreements and project plans.
· Manage country office personnel in accordance with Norwegian Red Cross leadership development framework, and in-country security.
· Represent Norwegian Red Cross in-country and contribute to complementary Red Cross Movement roles and responsibilities.
Main operational responsibilities
· Draft country yearly plans of action and follows up on progress.
· Follow up and support cooperation with the National Society in accordance with Partnership Agreement.
· Organize need assessments and develop fundable proposals.
· monitor planned and unplanned effects of projects supported by the Norwegian Red Cross and reports on progress
· Ensure reliable data and information collection from all projects
· Support financial risk management
· Engage the country team by providing clear expectations manifested in individual work plans and follows up through expressing positive expectations and holding each other accountable
· Ensure that Field Security Rules and Regulations for Norwegian Red Cross are updated and understood.
· Promote good collaboration between country offices
· Establish and manage regular meetings with donors to obtain support for unfunded humanitarian projects.
· Act as spokesperson for country developments towards Media and other stakeholders
· Contribute to the operationalization of global strategic agreements with the ICRC and the IFRC in the country.
We seek a person who;
· quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
· is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented
· builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilize it to achieve objectives
· demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area and participates in continuous development
· uses a methodical and systematic approach; plans ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
· communicate in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
Higher University Degree in relevant technical discipline. Equivalent technical experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
· managing humanitarian teams in complex humanitarian setting
· implementation (Health, WASH, Other as relevant) of programmes in challenging contexts.
· donor applications and reporting on humanitarian projects with measurable results.
· Fluency in English in required. Arabic is an asset**
· International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Regional Representative MENA, based in Beirut, Lebanon
Position is based in:
24 months’ contract, possible with extension
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity. **
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.